Israel Deserves Scrutiny
Posted by jeremiasx on January 23, 2007
There has been much talk about Israel since it became a nation under a UN Mandate back in the post-WWII era. In fact, Israeli politics and US policies in the Middle East are so intertwined that one might wonder where Israel begins and the US ends…it leads one to bear a few pertinent questions in mind.
1. Did the UN have the authority to superimpose an entire country upon an existing people and nation? (Some claim Palestine to not have been a “nation” but then if you use that reasoning, neither was Iraq, Jordan, Syria, etc. they were all protectorates of various European powers.)
2. If Israel is a bastion of democracy and a “model” for all in the Middle East, why does it do things like practice virtual apartheid against a significant section of it’s population? The Israeli Knesset has been so bold as to pass a law exterminating the citizenship of those who are political dissidents or are “unpatriotic.” If this is a model for democracy, will the US soon follow with similar legislation?
3. Does ANY people, any race, any color, any creed…have the right to a homogenous culture and country? So far, I don’t believe any country has worked as hard through political, military, and social programs to achieve such hegemony in the history of mankind, barring one…Nazi Germany.
4. Will Israel continue to garnish unfettered support by labeling every person who questions their policies as “Anti-Semitic?” We’ve seen this policy in practice in smear campaigns against former US President Jimmy Carter, who was instrumental in securing Middle East peace in the past, yet now that he has raised questions is being slurred as an, “Anti-Semite.”
5. Can we as Americans afford to stand idly by and continue our unfettered support for a state that has been accused of numerous human rights organizations as one of the worst offenders against basic human liberties? Should we continue to dump billions in aid to a regime which practices abuses of the worst kind against an entire race of people due to the wrong actions of a group of radicals in their midst?
I think these are serious questions that beg being answered, and while I empathize with the Jewish people for the atrocities they suffered under the despotic reign of Hitler, let me mention that they are not the only people who have suffered under the policies of genocide and racism…numerous cultures have dealt with the same problems. If you use the reasoning of the pro-Zionist movement, you can come to all kinds of conclusions about the future of many other “peoples” i.e. the Native Americans, the Pols, the Slavs, the Gypsies…the list could go on endlessly.
It’s time for us to reconsider our blanket support of a regime that has oppressed, killed, and sought to completely weed out an entire race of people who previously lived in the land they now occupy. Two wrongs, after all…do not make a right.
If you’re curious about the evolution and encroachment of the Israeli state, this map might hold a little information you may not have been aware of previously: