Commentary: The Ed and Elaine Brown Standoff
Posted by jeremiasx on June 8, 2007
Death and taxes…this is a story which may eventually include BOTH in what could turn out to be another Waco or Ruby Ridge standoff. Ed and Elaine Brown were surrounded yesterday by federal marshals in APCs and ghillie suits. No arrest took place, but roads were blocked off for a mile around their residence in Plainfield, NH, in an attempt to keep media and the public at a safe distance, “just in case.”
Ed Brown states that there is no law which requires us to pay income taxes, and he’s put his entire life on the line to make his point. As a part of the anti-tax movement, he represents the most extreme and zealous of its membership, yet the drama unfolding causes me to ponder what the harm would be in the government being more forthcoming in their responses to their allegations of unconstitutional income taxes. It would certainly SEEM to be easier than making a big issue out of it and endangering peoples’ lives.
The government has shown it’s veracity in enforcing the laws throughout history, sometimes with lethal force…Bonnie and Clyde, the James gang, etc…but this particular situation involves a non-violent “criminal” who merely refuses to present himself to be imprisoned for a law that he believes to be unjust.
What happened to the idea of someone being a tax protester without having to fear the loss of life and limb? What about the quiet and peaceful protest of Henry David Thoreau? He sat in jail for a year in protest of paying his property tax because of a moral objection, yet we don’t really villify him in retrospect, nor does it seem conceivable that violence should even factor into this whole situation. Why is the government willing to kill these people for tax money?
Yes…they are willing to kill…the government was there yesterday, in ghillie suits and armored personnel carriers, doing what was probably a test run for an armed incursion onto Ed Brown’s property complete with the blood and carnage of a Ruby Ridge situation. Somehow, the mainstream media is complicit in their silence. Too much Paris Hilton right now.
So to recap for you, in case you’ve missed the basics:
- Ed and Elaine Brown (a dentist and his wife, who worked for him) did not pay income taxes for 10 years and do not believe their wages are taxable.
- They went to court to argue their case, but were not allowed an impartial trial, judge or jury, and were not allowed to cross-examine witnesses or even bring up the constitutionally questionable issue of income taxation.
- Fed up and in disgust, they quit participating in the trial, and were sentenced in absentia.
- Federal agents are involved in a virtual siege which included alleged firing of weapons, APC carriers, and armed incursions into the Ed Brown property in an obvious attempt to elicit a response, which was foiled by a friend of Ed’s who was walking the dog and alerted them to the police presence.
- Transmissions from Ed Brown and his wife (via the Internet, Satellite Phone, and HAM radio) indicate that everyone on their property is in good health as of this time.
The mainstream media hasn’t said a word…but local stations have been reporting dutifully to the best of their ability. There are a few clips available from yesterday which show the roadblocks and heavily armed police…you can follow this story either on the Internet on the Alex Jones website (ugh, I hate plugging him because of his NWO stuff but he’s got the most available sources right now for the story) or via internet radio underground. Revolution Live Radio is a good source.
Ed and Elaine appear to be perfectly willing to die for their cause. Even if their cause ends up being a foolish one…it sure does inspire the rest of us to question how far we are willing to go to ensure liberty as it applies to our own lives.